American (Traditional) Marriage

Documentary film makers Mike Flanagan and Courtney Bell have cut a new promo trailer for their work-in-progress American Marriage: The Movie.

Because they know what the American people want, Mike and Courtney included footage from the Wedding March on the Capitol and an extensive interview with RescueMarriage.org founder John Marcotte.

It’s a good time to make a movie about traditional marriage, because once the initiative passes, the only place you’ll be able to find divorce will be the History Channel.

Check out their Web site or follow them on Facebook.

About John Marcotte

John Marcotte is a firm believer in traditional family values. He currently opposes government-funded death panels, Obama talking to children and MSNBC's entire prime-time line-up.
This entry was posted in Press and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to American (Traditional) Marriage

1. chuck says:

Excellent video! I really think that it highlights another key point in that if marriage is to be held to the standard set by God, then all non-believers shall not be wed, and all believers can only be married by clergy inside a church. This in turn would void all of the “civil unions” set by the government outside of the boundaries of the church.

2. jason says:

That looks like a great film. Does anyone have the stats on the divorce rate among the ~18,000 same-sex marriages that occurred in the short window it was legal in 2008? My hunch is that it would be the lowest of any pool sampled.

3. Greg Smith says:

YOU ARE MISSING THE OBVIOUS! Marriage is between a man and non-pregnant woman!

If you want to bugger up the southern conservatives make marriage only between a man and a non-pregnant woman. If the woman is pregnant you can only have a civil union.

• Son of Thunder says:

Amen, Greg. We need to call sin SIN in this Christian nation! It’s time to bring back bastardy, those children of SIN must not be allowed a place in a Christian society. Let those who fornikate pay the price of shame and live outside the city away from God’s people.

4. Erick says:

I have just signed the petition that makes it ILLEGAL to divorce in California. All Christians who are really
    Christians MUST SIGN THIS PETITION!

IF YOU ARE MARRIED YOU SWORE BEFORE GOD TO STAY MARRIED UNTIL DEATH! NO BACKING OUT
    NOW!

Sign the petition to forbide divorce in California. If you are for marriage and opposed to same sex
    marriage you MUST SIGN THE PETITION.

DO NOT BE A HYPOCRITE! SIGN THE PETITION NOW!

• m. says:

I am a Christian and completely believe in “’til death”. Too bad my husband would love to see me and our soon dead! My husband loved to use Biblical references to justify his abuse of me and our son. I am trying to get a divorce and he is trying to hold out, which must be for this to pass. I made a vow “’til death do us part” but it was to someone who also promised to “love and cherish me” but decided to instead justify calling me names, trying to rape me and throwing me around with the Bible and his “christianity”. I am all for one marriage “’til death do us part” but first figuare out a way to get rid of the abusive, “christian” or “good” people that con people into marriage. 1 in 5 people will be abused. Christians and other religious people have the hardest time leaving because of the judgement and persecution by their fellow believers. …

• Phoenix says:

Yes, lets force people to stay together and watch the death toll jump.

Also, there is nothing wrong with same sex marriage. That is taking basic fundamental rights, and is discrimination.

Now, if marriage had no legal benifits, and was solely a religous thing, I would probably say that Christians have a right to determine who can go through with it. But that’s not he case.

5. Son of Thunder says:

God hates divorce and furthermore we must make it a CRIME for any divorced persons to try and get married or civil union ever again! Jesus said this is sin and adultery and God’s chosen nation must stamp it out.

• Amy says:

The United States isn’t a “Christian” nation. To call it so is to go against everything the founders of this country believed. Our ancestors, the immigrants that made our freedom possible, came because they were being persecuted for their religious beliefs. Freedom of Religion. Freedom to practice and teach any religious or spiritual beliefs we may have. We should be celebrating our freedom, not attempting to pry it from the hands and hearts of our fellow citizens. As soon as we begin defining who can marry and whether or not divorce should be allowed we begin to force Christian values onto many differing religious viewpoints. And as soon as the government bans a type of relationship and how it can or cannot end we are violating the Constitution. And, yes, it is a violation because it is a religion that is attempting to interfere with the government. It is religion that tells us what we can and cannot do with our lives. It is not the government’s role. We should all be fighting to maintain the freedoms of each person, not just individual religious beliefs.

• tom says:

They did not want religious freedom for all, they wanted to be able to practice their religion without persecution. They however frowned upon any beliefs outside of their own and even went so far as to put some to death!

• Agreed, Tom, and that’s a proud tradition that we should not end by allowing non-Christian attitudes towards divorce to take hold.

• Amy says:

If you look at the history of the founders – Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, John Jay, for example – not all were Christian. And if you can show me a place in the Constitution where there is a mention of “God” and that the Christian belief system is the base of the United States then I may take your point to heart. Until then, the FOUNDERS of our country fought for religious freedom from the British. A few of our founders were even atheist.

How is fighting for only Christian values in America any different than what the British were doing? As far as I can tell, it’s not. It’s still a form of religious persecution. And from my upbringing, that’s not a “Christian” way to act. There are Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims, and Jewish in this country. By wanting to have only your religion practiced and put into laws is as much a type of persecution as any.

“Love your neighbor as yourself.” Isn’t that what all Christians are taught from a young age?

• Amy- First, I do not have gays or lesbians as my neighbors so I can treat them as the law (the Bible) commands: with contempt. Plus, you have to realize that the Bible does a lot of window-dressing when it talks about love and compassion; read between the lines and it’s clear Jesus wanted us to rant and rave about everyone dying a grisly death a million times over in the afterlife. If you’re unclear, look at the truly devout Christians – like the fine Fred Phelps and other Baptist and Pentecostal ministers – who know that expressing love through hatred and intolerance was Jesus’s commandment.

• sarge says:

first off Amy, i know very well that Alexander Hamilton was christian. although he did not belong to any one denomination, he still took communion and practiced regularly.
        second of all, the original settlers who came to this country were a group bound by their religious beliefs. they were a particularly intolerant group. just the facts ma’am, just the facts…

• genuine concerned says:

Wow! Ok I suggest first opening your Bibles. Communion (taking of the bread and ‘wine’ (or grape juice in many demoniations) does not make one a Christian. It is a relationship between a person and Jesus. “For by grace are you saved by faith and not of your selves, it is a gift of God, not of works, lest any man can boast.” EPHESIANS 2:8-9. The relationship demands us to be like Christ. If you read anything, take 5 mins. and read Ephesians. We are told how to act many times throughout this book. “…I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humbe and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love (4:1-2).” “Speaking the truth in love… (4:15).” “Do not any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do no grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. (4:29-32)”. I could go on and on. This is just one book of many that speak of how we are to be like Christ. Not pushovers but we are to show love, compassion, forgiveness, truth but with grace and love, mercy, etc. There is no where in the Bible that supports rage, hatred, slander, etc. against any group. Hate the sin love the sinner is what Christ was about. (Who did he spend time with the sinners or the those that saw themselves as basically “good” people?) There is no where in the Bible that says swearing is less offensive than punching your neighbor or unfounded divorce. A sin is a sin (except rejecting the Holy Spirit). The consequences might not be the same here but the disgust in God’s eyes, according to the Bible is the same. The point is that we are to not to see ourselves as better than others because really no one is. We all have our problems of some sort whether big or small they are there. You want to make a difference? Stop judging and start setting an example of what is good and right. Start caring about people, genuinely, instead of spending so much time and energy hating them. How do you expect to “RescueMarriage” if you just march around and yell about it like an angery mob?

6. Samuel says:

I agree, Son of Thunder, in the gospel of Luke, the teaching of Jesus about divorce is stated briefly and forcefully: “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced from her husband commits adultery” (Luke 16:18). We must outlaw divorce in the State of California. Enough of so much adultery!

7. Kris says:

I thought the bible said something like “he who is without sin, throw the first stone” If we as a society think that we can mandate morality we will only further divide (Divorce) people! after 17 years with my only husband I believe that the key to long lasting happy relationships is search for common ground and to show love and acceptance and to lead by example, to inspire right behavior and encourage god to speak to you and mind yourself first! Go look in the mirror and ask yourself honestly if you want the responsibility of judging what is right or wrong for others! Do not kill is one of gods commandments and yet we rationalize that; condone it and fund it! Outlaw war sucessfully and then I may vote to outlaw divorce and have a hope of being successful! Are you really perfect enough to judge? I know I am not so I will not judge you but I do hope to inspire us to look at ourselves first!

8. With gays relegated to second-class status and divorce a distant memory, California will soon resume its status as the Righteous Among the Nations. We will just have to replace the California “Constitution” with the Bible (KJV, naturally) as the law of the land, and probably erect some “stonariums” to mete justice to sinners.

9. Kri says:

Amy, I find your comments to be educated and credible, the problem seems to be that there is no intelligent life here! “Hatred and intolerance was Jesus’s commandment” that is not his commandment to me!

10. Buzzkill says:

Look folks, If putting your comments down makes you feel good go ahead. No one’s mind will be opened, enlightened, or changed using this format. Humans are essentially clever, selfish, tribal beings. Unless a person is exposed in a positive way, to other sexualities, races, classes, and religions they are not going to care about them.
    Please return to your regular viewing…

11. brattykat says:

A hard topic to debate, but I think we did a goo job. Check out our video to support the cause: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBo6U1mdINc

12. abishur says:

Sarcasm aside, as a Christian, I hate to be associated with people who try to take the Bible and use it a means to be better than anyone who doesn’t share you biblical beliefs. Not only do they make the rest of us Christians look like hypocritical idiots, the fact of the matter is their own out for their own self glory and a shot at some power. Moreover, Christ never taught hatred of unbelievers. His few acts of outrage were directed at religious leaders who failed to practice what they preached.

I don’t believe that religion should be used in creating laws. While usually speaking religion sets up some good code of general ethics that a society should follow for general well being (like not killing each other), the fact of the matter is that I wouldn’t want to be ruled by an Islamic or Hindu religion, so why would I force someone of another religion to be held by my standards?

Even the Bible teaches in 1st Corinthians that Christians are not supposed to judge unbelievers by Biblical standards. That said, apart from my religious beliefs I am opposed to same sex couples being under the same title as non-same sex couples. I believe they should be allowed to be “married”, but there should be a different title for it. Something better than unionized, that just sound derogatory. But something separate all the same.

My main belief for this is that the institution of marriage has long been dictated by society standards. We can see historically that marriage was generally a business or political minded action between the two parents. It’s only in recent history (less than 100 years) that marriage began to be a thing moved by love (but hey, following a feeling as fleeting as love is probably also the source of our increasingly high divorce rate). To that end, I don’t believe that society is prepared for same sex couples to be under the same moniker as opposite sex couples. While you might contend that, the simple truth is that the majority of the time same sex marriage is brought up, the people vote it down (or vote it down shortly thereafter).

Now, while there are certainly some who are opposed to same sex marriage due to religious beliefs, there are also those who, like myself, simply don’t desire to be under the same title. And that desire does not come out of hatred, misunderstanding, religion, or phobia, just a simple, well thought out, impartial opinion. Some may desire to inappropriate label that as closed mindedness, but hey, open mindedness to one thing is just closed mindedness to another.

Finally, some guy at the top named Jason asked what the divorce rate among same sex couples was. A simple Google search provided this page which showed a study stating that same sex couples are 50% more likely to get divorced than opposite sex couples. I’ve placed the link at the bottom.

• kid says:

the most humorous thing from that link is that lesbians are 167% more likely to divorce than hetero couples… I attribute this to their menstrual cycles syncing up… must be a bear of a week!

• Son of Thunder says:

God created woman as the weaker vessel in need of Man to tell her what is right when womens refuse the headship of Men there whole lives are misery. Come back to God and accept the leaders who He puts over you!

• tanner says:

Well there abishur, some didn’t think that they should have to drink from the same water fountains as blacks either, but that didn’t make it right. Discrimination is wrong no matter what you call it.

• abishur says:

I agree tanner, but you’ll note that I did not argue that they should not be allowed any of the rights and privileges that a hetro-sexual couple enjoys in marriage. Indeed I believe the opposite, they should be allowed tax breaks, joint filing, sick leave for partners, etc. just as any other married couple. My point was that it need to be under a unique title. Understand that only half of my reasoning originates from my opinion that it should be something different out of personal preference. The other half originates from my belief that America was a nation built upon equality and that it’s wrong to discriminate on any standard, but the knowledge that people are not ready to accept the title “marriage” for same sex. Therefore I believe one should seek a new title that grants all the rights and privileges of marriage without the title.

It’s what is called a compromise. It’s the first step to achieving the legislation you really desired further on down the road. If you think that’s discrimination, than I’m sorry for not being able to word it more sufficiently, but the ultimate goal is full rights for both same and not same sex couples without offending either groups.

• tanner says:

and my point was if there are two water fountains, one for whites and one for blacks, does that make it right? no, that is called segregation. you know, they have the right to drink from the fountain, just not the same one as us… i thought as a nation we were past that kind of thought.

13. abishur says:

I understand your point Tanner, but my point is I’m not talking about two separate fountains I’m talking about the same one. It’s just one person calls it a water fountain and the other calls it a water dispenser. I’m talking about the exact same thing but with different names. It grants all the privileges of marriage to same-sex couples while still not offending anyone other the other side of the issue. And you honestly think we’re past such thought? Haven’t you heard of the Black Panthers and the KKK?

Also, as a side note, I didn’t choose that little face by my name. He looks rather angry and aggressive, but all I’m arguing for is an equitable compromise. I mean, it’s great to call for open mindedness from the other camp, but I believe that true democracy isn’t about a majority isolating a minority, it’s about two opposing ideas and beliefs meeting and finding a middle path that can accommodate both parties.

14. Pat says:

Marriage in this country is a joke. The ceremonies are a financial disaster costing an absurd amount of money. However, it is this same group who seems to think that they should be able to restrict this ceremoney for others … I guess because these folks have done such a great job at marriage eh?

15. Happily Married 17+ years says:

Son Of Thunder – You are single aren’t you?! Go back to school and learn the language then read a book and try to get a clue!

• Son of Thunder says:

And your in favor of socialist schools and healthcare arent you? You might not believe in God but He believes in you.

16. Andrew says:

I think this whole site is fake. These videos that are showing up on youtube, it just looks all fake. I think they are making fun of Christians.

17. BradS says:

Since the Gays have already gone and polluted the holy sanctity of Heterosexual marriage I say Civil Unions for ALL! You can’t very well get divorced if you were never really married! And once the fun of spoiling marriage for straight people is over the Gays will go back to having ‘roommates’.

When divorce was illegal there were Red Light Districts and Brothels. What does the Bible have to say about Whores and Brothels?

18. Dylan says:

Just a reminder, this ISN”T a christian nation, but a nation of many and all religions. So don’t try to impose your religion when trying t pass laws solely pertaining to it. When the founding fathers made this country, they made it a country of religious freedom, so making laws banning divorce and gay marriage because it’s against your religion interjects on the freedom of people in different religions and should be considered a violation of civil liberties. Remember this is a free country, so let us have the choice to decide with who and how we spend the rest of our lives.

• james says:

That is the allusion, but in reality, we are a very Christian nation. All other religions are just ticks on the dog. Want proof? Try to elect a non-christian as president. So long as there are good men like Pat Robertson and James Dobson, that will never happen! Christian soldiers are poised across this great nation to preserve what is ours and we will not let it go by the wayside!

19. Chuck says:

“..The more equal something is the more American it is..” Andy Warhol.

What ever happened to America being equal. In the constitution it says that “All men are created equal” So, all you insensitive dick holes are saying gays aren’t people?

Fuck you. Fuck you all.

• Son of Thunder says:

Not us but JESUS says that Chuck. The homo and the divorcee will only be restored through ascepting the Word of God and the disipline of there church and until that day then they are not citizens in a free Christian country.

And God forgives u for calling me a “dick hole,” pinche maricón.

20. JesusLovesMarriage says:

DIVORCE MAKES BABY JESUS CRY. PERIOD.

21. Bob in L.A. says:

Here is another look at Bible-based marriages:

22. Bob in L.A. says:

And here are some new laws to make sure gay people don’t use a sneaky workaround to gay marriage.

23. Bob in L.A. says:

And finally(?) this new approach to ensuring the protection of real marriages.

24. I am really pleasedto see that you are putting so much of effortfor encouragingthe readers with valueable posts like this.